Sunday, March 18, 2007

Moving in

We've been here 10 days and are settling in. It remains to be seen just how well, but for now, things are okay. We've been unpacking, albeit slowly. We did get the cable and internet hooked up. Couple that with the super comfy new couch and it's easy to see why unpacking isn't moving right along.

It's interesting here. We're about 35 miles outside of LA, and while I loved living in the middle of it all in New York, I think I'd really not enjoying living in the city here. It's so different from what we know, that I'm finding the suburbs to be okay. The biggest change so far is the driving. I like to drive and being from New Jersey, I'm damn good at it, but I miss the subway like crazy. Even on it's worst days, you got where you wanted to go in less than an hour for the low, low price of two bucks. Here, it's a crapshoot. It took me over three hours to get to LA on Wednesday, 90 of those minutes spent sitting on the approach to the freeway. Two overturned tractor trailer within 10 miles of each other snarled traffic up but good:



That's eight lanes of cars all trying to merge onto a road that had no intention of moving. Whereas Thursday was smooth sailing. Weird.

On the other hand, where traffic comes along with driving, it's a handy accessory, like a backpack on wheels. I can get whatever we need/want from the store instead of only what I can carry. And when I say store, I mean Target. There's one in every direction which is awesome for keeping us in discount toilet paper, but awful for keeping us in snacks, dvds, shoes, and all the other fun stuff they have. Must...resist...

In other news, after working (yes!) for two days this week with some old friends, I got my first sunburn of the season. I coated myself in so much sunscreen had I tripped and fallen (which is always entirely possible), I would have slid 15 feet into traffic. To be safe, I tethered myself to the building with leftover hot dogs. Waste not, want not.

No comments: